Filing for Civil Court Cases

E-file a Document

The Supreme Court of Texas has mandated that all attorneys file court documents electronically in the ten most populous counties. Bexar County is one of those counties. Effective January 1, 2014.

Attorneys are required to electronically file court documents in Civil and Probate cases in Bexar County through an electronic filing service provider. This provider must be certified by the Office of Court Administration.

Download appropriate form to include with your eFiling. Should you have any questions regarding the eFiling process, please consult the local e-filing rules and/or contact your electronic filing service provider (EFSP).

See Map of the Courthouse and the Frequently Asked Questions

Map of Bexar County Courthouse, Justice Center & Paul Elizondo Tower (PET)

There are two buildings connected to the courthouse. Building 1 is the courthouse. Building 2 is the Justice Center. Building 3 is the Paul Elizondo Tower (PET).

There is a tunnel located in the basement. The tunnel connects the courthouse to the Justice Center (see the dotted lines below). To access the tunnel, go through the sliding glass doors located next to the elevators in the basement of the courthouse. To enter the PET from the Justice center, go across the courtyard.

How do I file an answer once I have been served with a citation?

As indicated on the citation, you have 20 days from the date of service to file an answer with our office. We cannot calculate or give you the due date your answer is due. It can be submitted to our office via E-Filing, mailed or delivered in person the Bexar County Clerk’s office, Attn: Civil Central Filing Department, 100 Dolorosa B: 04, San Antonio, TX 78205.

How do I obtain a copy of documents?

Submit your request through E-Filing, mail or in person. Please include case number, address, and a fee of $1.00 per page.

How do I file a small claims action?

The jurisdiction for a small claim is under $10,000 and you can file at one of the following Justices of the Peace:

JP1: 218 South Laredo Street (210) 335-4500 South west side of town
JP2: 7723 Guilbeau Rd, Suite 105 (210) 335-4800 North west side of town
JP3: 8919 Tesoro Dr. Suite 300 (210) 335-4700 North east side of town
JP4: 2711 S.E. Loop 410 South (210) 335-4900 South east side of town

I have appealed a case from the Justice of the Peace, what happens next?

The documents in the case are sent to the Bexar County Clerk’s Civil Central Filing department. The appeal means that the case will be heard by the County Court at Law Court as a new case. You will receive a notice requiring you to pay the filing fee; if the filing fee is not paid, the case will be sent back to the Justice of the Peace Court. Either party may request a hearing date. The party setting the case is responsible for notifying the other party of the date, time and location the case is set for. To set a hearing, contact the senior court operations clerk at (210) 335-3175 or (210) 335-3179. It is recommended that you consult an attorney or have an attorney represent you.

What is the Bexar County civil jurisdiction?

Bexar County Clerk’s jurisdiction is up to $200,000.

What dates are non-jury cases set for?

County Court At Law non-jury cases and motions are set on Thursdays and Fridays at 9:30 a.m. in presiding county court room B.23.

What dates are jury cases set for?

County Court At Law Jury cases are set on Monday's or Tuesdays following a Monday holiday.

What are the requirements for a jury demand?

You must submit a filing fee of $40.00 for a jury demand. Parties must attend mediation.

What forms can I obtain from the Bexar County website?

The following forms are available for download in PDF format:
Citation Service Request
Civil Case Information Sheet
Civil Subsequent Service Request
Subpoena Request

How do I file for an occupational driver’s license?

The filing fee for an occupational driver's license is $247.00 dollars. Consult an attorney. The clerk may not assist in the preparation of any application or petition, nor can we advise any litigant if the application is filed incorrectly. If the court does not grant the occupational license, the filing fees are not refundable.

How do I obtain copies of documents in my file?

You may obtain copies of documents by the following options:

  • Submit your request through E-filing
  • Submit by mail to Bexar County Clerk Attn: Civil Central Filing Department 100 Dolorosa, San Antonio, TX 78205
  • Non-certified paper copy $1.00 per page (copies cannot be faxed or emailed to customer)

How do I obtain a certified copy of a document?

The fee for a certified copy of a document is $5.00 for the certification and a $1.00 per page of the document. You may make your request by E-filing, Mail or in person. Checks or money orders are to be made payable to: Lucy Adame-Clark, Bexar County Clerk. You may mail in your request to: Lucy Adame-Clark, Bexar County Clerk, Civil Central Filing Department, 100 Dolorosa, Suite 104, San Antonio, Texas 78205